Sign-Up Forms for Groups
Sign Up Genius
If you need a virtual sign up sheet for just about any event you can think of, Sign Up Genius has you covered. They have dozens of ready-made forms for businesses, sports teams, clubs, nonprofits, churches/temples and more.
Cost: It’s free to create forms, but they offer three premium levels with advanced features, ranging from $9.99 to $24.99 and $49.99/month. They also offer an optional to accept payments using Paypal.
Get Copywriting Help—Fast—With Boom! Headline
Are you struggling with how to write something? Wouldn’t it be nice to have a professional writer’s input to make it the best, snappiest copy possible?
My friend Patrick McLean of Good Words, Right Order has launched a great new service called Boom! Headline. It’s like a help desk for copywriting: You send him something you’re working on, and he will send you back a critique and his suggestions. This will help you get unstuck or quite likely find a better way of saying what you’re trying to convey.
As I example, I sent this gem through:
What hath God wrought?
A few minutes later, I got this back:
It’s good, but could be a little archaic, depending on your audience. Here are some suggestions:
- What is this thing the Lord made?
- What is this Work of God?
- Check it out. That God-dude made somethin’ cool!
- Check it out. That God-dude made somethin’ wicked trippy!
- Good Lord, what fresh digital plague have you now sent to scourge the faithless luddites among us?
Cost: For now, it’s pay-what-you-think-it’s-worth. You’ll want to earmark a slush fund to run stuff by Patrick—he’s that good.
Look Up Website Info Using BuiltWith
BuiltWith was likely built with Web geeks in mind…which is why I love it. Using this site, you can glean a lot of key information about the infrastructure of anyone’s website.
The types of information you can gather using BuiltWith includes:
- Where their site is hosted
- If they are running ads on Google or other networks
- What types of analytics they are using
- Any special widgets or plugins they are using on their site
For web developers and marketers especially, this can give you a lot of clues about a company’s level of sophistication.
Learn How To Pronounce Words Properly With Forvo
You say Po-TA-to, I say Po-TAH-to…so who’s correct?
Turn to Forvo to learn the proper pronunciation of any word—even something crazy like pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism.
Forvo has a lot of neat features for word nerds:
- Listen to pronunciations in 306 languages or by topical categories
- Add words you don’t know how to pronounce
- Keep track of your added and pronounced words
- Create your own favorite pronunciations list
- Download mp3 audio pronunciations
Access Multiple Cloud Storage Sites Using Jolidrive
Are you using more than one cloud-based storage service? Wouldn’t it be nice to access them all from one dashboard?
That is exactly what Jolidrive does. It connects to every service you use, from Dropbox to Google Drive, Flickr, Instagram, Box, YouTube and many more. It then brings all your content together into one interface that you can access from any device.
Once you connect your various accounts, Jolidrive can find any file regardless of where it is stored.
Jolidrive also features tools to view photos, play videos and edit documents. You can read articles saved in Pocket and use Exfm as a virtual jukebox.
Checkthis bills itself first and foremost as an iPhone app for creating and sharing posts with multiple photos. It does this well, but it is perhaps even better at helping you create and share web pages very quickly.
Making a page in Checkthis is super easy, and you can choose to add it to your Facebook timeline when you publish. Pages can be set to expire in a week, a month or never. You can also create a vanity URL like www.checkthis.com/make-a-quick-web-page. A timeline appears with each page, showing a real-time feed of reactions including views, likes, comments, mentions on Twitter and more.
Advanced Business Card Scanning With ScanBizCards
Got piles of business cards you need to do something about? Do you dread having to input them manually into your contacts database?
ScanBizCards is a great app for iOS, Android and Windows devices (along with a companion website) to solve this problem for you.
ScanBizCards goes beyond other apps that simply scan in the information from a business card so you can create a new contact record. While it does this with ease, it offers a host of other options, including:
- Scan cards on the go with their smartphone app, then scan or edit the contact details later while sitting at your computer
- Choose to add them instantly to your phone’s address book, or wherever your default contacts reside (like iCloud)
- Use their WebSync online backup service to save your scanned business card images and contact information online, so you can access them from anywhere
- Export scanned cards directly into Salesforce as new Leads or Contacts from within the app
- Take pictures of business cards with any camera or a flatbed scanner, then upload and scan these images online using WebSync
- Import and export business cards to Evernote
- Transfer cards between your different mobile devices (iPad, Android, iPhone), and also between different versions of the app (lite and premium)
- Use a Dymo CardScan device and sync your cards with your mobile phone
- View your cards in new ways using an online Map View (in beta)
Cost: The iPhone app is currently discounted to $3.99. Purchase the iPad version, ScanBizCards HD ($9.99 USD) and get 1 year of WebSync free. The pricing for Websync is $0.99 USD per month or $9.99 USD for a full year.
Thanks to Garth Moulton and Michael Barclay of ScanBizCards for turning me on to the product.