Visual Thesaurus is an interactive dictionary and thesaurus that creates word maps that blossom with meanings and branch to related words. It features an innovative display that encourages exploration and learning. Every time you look up a word, you will start to understand language in a powerful new way.
Say you have a meaning in mind, like “empathy” (a favorite topic of mine). Visual Thesaurus helps you find related words, from “compassion” to “commiseration.” Unlike your dog-eared copy of Roget’s Thesaurus, Visual Thesaurus works like your brain to help you delve deeper into word associations and relationships. It encourages you to explore derivations to discover synonyms, antonyms and new meanings.
It’s a great resource for finding the right word for your blog post, tweet or book passage. Whenever I’m stuck for a word choice, I can always count on Visual Thesaurus to save the day. Often times, I’ll start there with just an idea or two, and in short order it will help me flesh out an entire post that is chock full of wonderful words. This is also fantastic for SEO purposes.
Visual Thesaurus has over 145,000 English words and 115,000 meanings. If you have children, they will also benefit from using Visual Thesaurus with their writing assignments.
Additional features allow you to:
- Email word maps to friends or make some swag out of your favorite words
- Save your lists for reference
- See how words are used in different parts of speech
- Roll over a meaning to see its definition and example sentences that express that meaning.
- Improve your grammar. Meanings are color-coded to indicate parts of speech.
- Explore 39,000 proper nouns. Historical figures, phrases and trademarks are included.
- Hear words pronounced correctly. Visual Thesaurus offers both American and British pronunciations (Cheerio!).
- Right-click on any word to launch an Internet search for images or information